Municipal Court

Fair and Professional Customer Service

The City of Gunter Municipal Court provides an accessible legal forum for residents and visitors to have a court matter heard in a fair and proficient manner. 


Court Sessions are at 3 p.m. on the first Mondays of each month unless otherwise noted. Check your citation for the date.


Learn more about violations

Payment Options

Pay online

The City of Gunter accepts payment by check, cashier's check, money order, and credit card. We accept no cash. Payments are accepted from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Thursday, and 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Friday.

Please note: It is your responsibility to contact the court and not the court's responsibility to contact you.


The City of Gunter Municipal Court is a Court of Safe Harbor. Learn about your options

Know Your Options

The following information can help you make an informed decision on how to handle your case in the City of Gunter Municipal Court. 


  • Guilty or no contest - If you want to plead guilty or no contest, submit a written plea along with the fine amount. A plea of no contest means that you do not contest the state's charge(s) against you. The fine for a no-contest plea is the same as for a plea of guilty. Either plea indicates that you agree to waive your appearance before the court for trial. You can pay with a cashier's check or money order (cash not accepted by mail) made out to the City of Gunter Municipal Court. Return your copy of the reply form with your payment to assure proper credit. You can also pay online
  • Not guilty - If you want to plead not guilty and desire a trial, you must contact the court on or before your citation due date. 

Driver's Safety Course

You may wish to take a Driver's Safety Course (DSC) to prevent DPS from adding the violation to your driving record. You are eligible to request the DSC if you have a valid Texas Driver's License, insurance listing you as a covered driver, and have not taken the course within the last 12 months. You must pay $144 ($169 for school zone violations) to the Municipal Court at the time of the request. 

You will be required to take any six-hour course approved by the Texas Education Agency for ticket dismissal. You may take the course in a classroom setting or online. You will also be required to obtain a certified copy of your driving record from the Texas Department of Public Safety, and a copy of your Texas Driver's License and current vehicle insurance. The court will provide you with the proper application.

When you are approved to take the DSC class, you will have 90 days to complete the class and return the required documents to the court. Once the court receives the documents, we will notify DPS that you have completed the course, and the citation will not affect your driving record. DSC is not available for:

  • Defendants with a Commercial Driver's License (CDL)
  • Defendants who live out of state
  • Violations involving passing a school bus
  • Violations that occur in a construction zone
  • Violations of 25 miles or more over the posted speed limit

Deferred Disposition

You may request Deferred Disposition, also called probation, to prevent DPS from adding the violation to your driving record. With a Deferred Disposition, you pay the fines and fees accessed by the judge, and the judge agrees to defer your guilty verdict for a period of up to 90 days. 

You enter into an agreement with the court that you will not receive any tickets during the deferral period. If you complete the deferral period without incident, the violation will not affect your driving record. If you get another ticket or do not pay the fees accessed by the Judge, you will have a Show Cause hearing to determine the result of your case.

Fine Payment 

If you choose to pay your fine without requesting other options, the court will report the violation to the Texas Department of Public Safety as a conviction. A conviction will result in the violation being added to your driving record. 

Renew Your Driver's License

You can renew your driver's license through the Texas Department of Public Safety. 

Order Your Texas Driving Record

You can order your Texas driving record from the Texas Department of Public Safety. 


Nothing contained herein is intended to be, nor should be, construed as legal advice and should not be relied upon as such.